I must credit and thank my friend Barb for this one. It’s one of the best things in the world, certainly the best tomato tart I’ve tasted. She often makes it often for my birthday and other special occasions. Am I lucky or what? Don’t wait for a special occasion to try it!
1 refrigerated pie crust, or pie crust recipe prepared
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
3-5 Roma tomatoes
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- Place crust in a 9″ quiche dish, flute edges, prick with fork and prebake according to instructions. Remove from oven, sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella and cool on wire rack.
- Cut tomatoes in thick slices; drain on paper towel. Arrange tomatoes on top of melted cheese.
- In a processor, combine basil and garlic until coarsely chopped. Sprinkle over tomatoes.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese and pepper. Spoon cheese mixture over top of basil and spread to evenly cover the top.
- Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until top is bubbly.
Serves 4 as main dish or 8 as appetizer.